Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
For more information you may call the Macomb County Health Department COVID-19 helpline at 586-463-3750. Helpline is open 8:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M from Monday-Friday. If you need further assistance, contact the State COVID-19 hotline which is open seven days a week from 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M at 888-535-6136.
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
The Macomb County Health Department is closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness named coronavirus disease 2019 (abbreviated "COVID-19") that is caused by the virus "SARS-CoV-2". COVID-19 was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China and has continued to expand around the globe – including the state of Michigan and Macomb County.
The Macomb County Health Department strongly encourages all residents of Macomb County to adhere to Governor Whitmer's most recent Stay Home, Stay Safe Executive Order to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
In addition we also encourage residents of Macomb County to practice everyday prevention measures like frequent hand washing, social distancing, staying home when sick, covering coughs and sneezes, and other measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
The Health Department has developed materials for residents.
- COVID-19 Community Tool Kit
- Social distancing, self-monitoring, quarantine and isolation - key terms explained
- COVID-19 and Older Adults
- COVID-19 and Chronic Health Conditions
To help promote and encourage public awareness and preparedness, the Health Department has collected and published additional printable resources in English, Spanish and Arabic on our Additional COVID-19 Materials Page. Resources can also be found at the MDHHS Coronavirus website, as well as Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.
Center for Disease Control COVID-19 Resources
Macomb County Public Health Orders
MCHD and State of Michigan News Releases
- January 24 News Release: MDHHS investigating possible cases of Novel Coronavirus 2019
- January 27 News Release: Results of three Michigan 2019 Novel Coronavirus specimens come back negative
- February 3 News Release: MDHHS activates Community Health Emergency Coordination Center in response to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- February 28 News Release: Governor Whitmer Activates State Emergency Operations Center to Coordinate State of Michigan Response to Coronavirus
- February 29 News Release: MDHHS state lab completes first in-state test for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), results come back negative
- March 2 News Release: MCHD Coronavirus (COVID-19) Readiness Public Health Update
- March 5 News Release: MDHHS Bureau of Laboratories obtains additional coronavirus testing kits, more than doubles the number of people possible for testing
- March 13 News Release: Macomb County reports first presumptive positive COVID-19 case
- March 14 News Release: MCHD COVID-19 help line open seven days a week
- March 16 News Release: Governor Whitmer Executive Order temporarily closing bars, theaters, casinos, gyms and other public spaces; restaurants limited to delivery and carry out
- MCHD COVID-19 Community Toolkit
- What You Need to Know
- Case Counts: Novel Coronavirus in the U.S. (CDC)
- Information for providers (CDC)
- Michigan (MDHHS) Coronavirus information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- COVID-19 and Older Adults and/or Adults with Chronic Diseases
- Printable and Multi-Language COVID- 19 Fact Sheets
Macomb County hospital systems and their providers are an important part of our communities' fight against COVID-19. Below are links to local hospitals.