Skip to main content
Email Subscription

To sign up for email updates from Macomb County or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your email address. If you would like to subscribe for text alerts please select Text Updates in the drop-down menu.

Health Department
Health and Community Services
43525 Elizabeth Road, Mount Clemens, MI 48043
(586) 469-5235

Food Service Establishment Licensing

State law requires a facility that prepares or serves food or drink to the general public to be licensed as a food service establishment.

For licensing and fee purposes, food service establishments are classified as follows:

  • Fixed Food - Food service establishment that operates from a stationary facility/location.
  • Mobile Food - Food service establishment that operates from a vehicle, watercraft, or cart that moves to from location to location. Facilities licensed as a mobile must return to a licensed mobile food commissary every 24 hours.
  • Special Transitory Food Unit (STFU) - A moveable food service establishment that is licensed to operate throughout the state and is not required to return to a commissary. STFU's are required to request and pay for two (2) operational inspections every license year. STFU's are also required to give written notification, to the appropriate local health department, of their intent to operate in their jurisdiction.
  • Temporary Food - Food service establishment that operates at a fixed location for a temporary period not to exceed 14 consecutive days
  • Vending Location - A place (room, enclosure, space) where vending machines are installed.
  • Vending Machine - Dispenses food or beverages. Does not include machines that dispense canned or bottled beverages, gum, candy, packaged candy, chips, pretzels, cookies, etc.

For the food service license fee schedule click here.

For downloadable license applications see "Other Resources" below or go to the "Forms" section on our web site.


If you have any questions, call us at 586-469-5236, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. or E-mail us now.

Other Resources

Michigan Department of Agriculture:

Food Service License Application

Food Establishment Licensing Quick Guide

Temporary Food Service License Application

Temporary Food Operations Checklist

STFU Notification of Intent to Operate Form