How do I apply for WIC ?
How do I apply for WIC?
WIC does not use an application form. You will need to call the WIC office at (586) 469-5471. Experienced phone staff will perform an initial screening to determine whether or not you are eligible for WIC. You will be given an appointment to verify your eligibility.
What must an applicant bring to an appointment?
- Proof of household income or a Medicaid card if enrolled in Medicaid
- Proof of identification for the applicant (driver's license, birth certificate, passport, etc.)
- Proof of applicant's address
- Proof of pregnancy, if available (for pregnant women)
- Immunization record (for children)
- The child or infant or mother being enrolled
- Verification of birth, for newborns
- Court documents if you are a foster parent, grandparent or there has been a custody or guardianship change
- Your WIC booklet/packet (if already enrolled in Macomb County)
- Proof of WIC enrollment or "VOC" (if transferring from another state)
NOTE: once enrolled, future appointments may require less documentation; your WIC staff will always tell you what to bring for each type of appointment.
What happens during a WIC appointment?
- Review of income, residency and identity
- Review of health and medical history
- Review of usual dietary intake and eating patterns
- Review of immunization record (children only)
- Height and weight measurements taken
- Hemoglobin test performed (over 6 months of age)
- Meet with a dietitian for a nutrition plan
- Discuss foods that will be received from WIC
- Learn about nutrition and other health information applicable for the participant
- Learn how to use WIC benefits and the WIC Bridge Card
- Make next appointment to receive more benefits and receive additional nutrition education
The initial appointment can take from 1-2 hours. The other appointments during the certification period usually take about 30 minutes. Depending on the individual, the next appointment may be in 1, 2, or 3 months. Most families need to visit the WIC office 2-4 times per year; some appointments can be done over the internet.