Contact: Cheryl Woods
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 17, 2019
Macomb County Health Department urges the public to take action to prevent the flu
With flu season approaching, the Macomb County Health Department is asking the public to be aware and prepared to fight the virus and stay healthy. The flu is a potentially serious and contagious disease that is often unpredictable. Serious outcomes of the virus can lead to hospitalization and even death.
While seasonal flu activity varies, the flu usually peaks between December and February, though activity can sometimes last as late as May. For instance, the 2018-2019 season was moderate in severity and lasted a record-breaking 21 weeks.
The CDC recommends a three-step approach to fight the flu:
- Get a flu vaccine. The single best way to prevent seasonal flu is to get vaccinated. Everyone six months of age and older should get a flu vaccine every season.
- Take everyday actions to stop the spread of germs. Try to avoid close contact with people who are sick, and if you become sick, limit your contact with others. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, and wash your hands often.
- Take flu antiviral drugs if your doctor prescribes them. If you get sick with the flu, prescription flu antiviral drugs can be used to treat flu illness. Antiviral drugs can make the illness milder and shorten the time you are sick. They may also prevent serious flu complications.
The Macomb County Health Department has seasonal flu vaccines available at its Mount Clemens, Warren and St. Clair Shores health centers.
The locations are:
- Central Health Service Center - 43525 Elizabeth Road, Mt. Clemens, MI 48043(586) 469-5235
Hours: Monday and Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., 3rd Fridays of the month: 11:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Southeast Family Resource Center - 25401 Harper, St. Clair Shores, MI 48080
Hours: Monday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., Tuesday and Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., closed on the 3rd Friday of the month
- Southwest Health Center - 27690 Van Dyke, Warren, MI 48093
Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., 3rd Friday of the month: 11:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
A $20 charge for each flu vaccination is payable with cash or check. Medicare Part B, Medicaid and some commercial insurances can be billed for flu vaccines and other recommended immunizations.
If you have questions about immunizations, including the seasonal flu vaccine, please call 586-469-5372 or 586-465-8537 and ask to speak with an Immunization Program Registered Nurse, or visit the Macomb County Health Department website at https://health.macombgov.org/Health-Home.
IMMUNIZATIONS PROTECT ALL OF US: Don't Wait. Vaccinate.
43525 Elizabeth Road, Mount Clemens, MI, 48043
General Media Inquires - please contact John Cwikla at 586-463-3523