Student Internship Program
The Macomb County Health Department (MCHD) typically receives a number of requests throughout the year from students seeking opportunities for on-the-job experiences as part of their educational program. These requests can be for informational interview or longer-term internships that may involve periods of several months or longer. Often, these types of experiences are included in curriculum requirements to obtain a specific degree, but in some instances, the student is simply looking for exposure to a real-world experience in which to apply learned skills or to help in deciding upon a career path.
It is the desire of the Health Department to accommodate these types of requests whenever possible; however, it is important to manage the number of such requests that are granted each year in order to maintain standard delivery of services while enhancing the student experience.
Please select the opportunity of interest to learn more.
The Macomb County Health Department (MCHD) offers internships/practicums for interested undergraduate/graduate students upon completion of required application and availability of staff support. The purpose of the internship/practicum program is to provide students the opportunity to apply certain competencies acquired in the classroom to a practice agency or environment, under the direction of a public health professional. MCHD interns assist on substantive projects, develop professional skills, and benefit from the personal attention of a mentor.
MCHD follows and meets the U.S. Department of Labor Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) through the following internship/practicum standards:
- The training provided to the intern, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to what would be given in a vocational school or academic educational instruction
- The training received by the intern is for his or her benefit
- The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under their close observation or supervision
- The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the intern’s activities, and on occasion the employer’s operations may actually be impeded
- The intern is not entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship period
- The intern understands that he/she is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship
Students may perform work that is directly related to their academic field or in an area of study in which they have an interest. The student must have permission from their institution before participating in this program if the internship will fulfill academic requirements for their course of study. Students participating in this program will:
- Use academic training to tackle real world public health issues
- Gain knowledge of the Macomb County Health Department programs and services
- Receive hands-on training
- Network with working professionals in their area of interest
- Find opportunities to explore new careers while building on their academic studies
- Attend MCHD coalition meetings, such as the Baby Resource Network or OperationRx
- Be over 18 years of age and have a high school diploma
- Be enrolled as a matriculated undergraduate, graduate, or professional student in a degree program at an accredited college or university in the US.
- Recent graduates are not eligible to apply.
- Be in good academic standing (GPA above 3.0)
- Be able to commit at least 10 hours a week
- The student’s educational institution must have a signed agreement with the MCHD for all required internships (See current list of signed agreements below)
- Students hired to fill paid temporary or seasonal positions may use the employment experience gained to fulfill internship requirements.
Applications must be received at least two months prior to the intended start-date of the internship/practicum. Students may apply for no more than two internship opportunities.
Students are responsible to submit and to ensure application packages are complete. Only completed applications will be considered. A completed application consists of:
- Student Application (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MCHDinterns)
- Cover Letter
- Current unofficial School Transcript
- Copy of University practicum guidelines
Complete applications received by the Macomb County Health Department will be reviewed by supervisors who wish to host an intern. Applicants may be asked to be interviewed, either by phone or in person. Applicants who are chosen for an internship will be notified by the supervisor via phone or email. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application within 4 weeks of receipt.
Any questions about the application process should be directed to email@example.com
Internships currently available at the Macomb County Health Department are listed below. When applying for a specific internship, please be sure the title of the project matches with your application.
Macomb County Health Department does not have any internship opportunities available at the present time. Please check back again soon.
Macomb County Health Department accepts Nurse Practitioner students in our Family Planning Clinic. Rotations are selected based on the following criteria: first come-first served, affiliation agreement with the University, availability of Macomb County Health Department staff. Nurse Practitioner students who are interested in completing a rotation with our Family Planning Clinic should completed the application process and list "Family Planning Clinic Rotation" as their project. All applications will be contacted within 4 weeks of submitting a request.
Students may request informational interviews (typically by phone) with a public health professional to gain enhanced understanding of public health programs and policies to supplement a school assignment.
- Application must be received at least two weeks prior to requested interview date.
- Submit Application (https:/www.surveymonkey.com/r/MCHDinterview)
- You will be notified of the status of your application within seven business days of receipt. Confirmed interview date may vary around the requested interview date.
For Additional Questions/information:
Additional questions or requests for information should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Requests will not be considered if not received within the time-frame indicated.
For a printable version of these instructions you may download them here: